Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for federal financial aid, a student must:
- Be a U. S. citizen, U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa and Swain's Island) or U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card). Other eligible non-citizens include students who have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service with one of the following designations: Refugee; Asylum Granted; Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole; Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending); or Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980).
- Be enrolled, or accepted for enrollment, in a degree or certificate program at a college or university approved by the U.S. Department of Education
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Have a valid Social Security number
- Register with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
- Be in good standing on all other current federal student loan(s), if applicable
You are not eligible for federal financial aid if you:
- Have only a Notice to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464) are not eligible for federal student aid
- Have defaulted on a federal student loan or owe a refund on federal aid
You may not be eligible for federal financial aid if you:
- Have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs, depending on when the conviction occurred. You can regain your eligibility by completing a drug rehabilitation program. To learn more or to request a brochure on federal financial aid and drug convictions, call 800.433.3243.
Students receiving financial aid for the first time at the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry must complete a Federal Loan Entrance online counseling session. The entrance counseling will review terms and conditions of student loans, debt management, budgeting, rights and responsibilities and various other aspects of student loans. The entrance counseling must be completed online. Please see the Entrance Interview Requirement section on our website for more information. NOTE : Financial aid funds will not be released until this requirement is fulfilled.
Student Visa Holders and Canadian Citizens
Only students who are U.S citizens or Permanent Residents are eligible for federal financial aid. However, some private/alternative loans are available for visa students who have a credit worthy co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. Please contact the financial aid office for further instructions.