Angiogenesis and Cancer
Head and neck cancer survival rates improved, on average, about 10% after the introduction of traditional chemotherapies and radiotherapies during the last century. Survival rates have improved little since then and for many head and neck cancers five year survival figures remains below 40%. I am committed to studying angiogenesis as it relates to cancer research, to better understanding tumor microenvironments, and toward the development of more effective anti-cancer drugs.
My laboratory is focused on the elucidation of novel cancer angiogenesis-related pathways and ultimately on development of anti-angiogenesis therapies that may effectively target head and neck cancers. These studies use a variety of molecular and proteomic approaches to understand the response of endothelial cells to their environment with the ultimate aim of examining the cell signaling pathways involved. We further seek to discover and develop novel anti-angiogenic, anti-cancer drugs with particular efficacy in head and neck cancer.
- Zeitlin BD, Spalding AC, Campos MS, Ashimori, N, Dong Z, Wang S, Lawrence TS, Nör JE. TW-37, a small molecule inhibitor of Bcl-2, and ionizing radiation: Anti-tumor and anti-angiogenic effects in preclinical models of head and neck cancer (Accepted International Journal of Radiation Oncology, 2010)
- Doebele RC, Schulze-Hoepfner FT, Hong J, Chlenski A, Zeitlin BD, Goel K, Gomes S, Liu Y, Abe MK, Lingen MW, Nor JE, Rosner MR. A novel interplay between Epac/Rap1 and MEK5/ERK5 regulates thrombospondin to control angiogenesis. Blood 2009 Nov;114(20):4592-4600
- Ashimori N, Zeitlin BD, Zhang ZC, Warner K, Turkienicz IM, Spalding AC, Teknos TN, Wang SM, Nör JE. TW-37, a small-molecule inhibitor of Bcl-2, mediates S-phase cell cycle arrest and suppresses head and neck tumor angiogenesis. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 2009 Apr;8(4):893-903
- Zeitlin BD, Zeitlin IJ, Nör JE. Expanding circle of inhibition: small-molecule inhibitors of Bcl-2 as anticancer cell and antiangiogenic agents. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2008 Sep. 1;26(25):4180-4188.
- Zeitlin BD, Joo E, Dong Z, Warner K, Wang G, Nikolovska-Coleska Z, Wang S, Nör JE. Antiangiogenic effect of TW37, a small-molecule inhibitor of Bcl-2. Cancer Research 2006 Sep. 1;66(17):8698-8706.
- Pinsky MS, Song W, Dong Z, Warner K, Zeitlin B, Karl E, Hall DE, Nör JE. Activation of iCaspase-9 in neovessels inhibits oral tumor progression. Journal of Dental Research 2006 May. 85(5):436-441.
Dr. Benjamin Zeitlin, email@example.com, 415.351.7105