University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry is one of the premier dental schools in the nation and has served the Bay Area community for more than a century.
Founded in 1896 as the College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S), the school's curriculum originally included programs in dentistry, medicine and pharmacy. The college announced to its Northern California public and to the world, "It will, at all times, be the purpose of this school to elevate the profession through its students." Dr. Charles Boxton presided as the first dean of P&S and served briefly as mayor of San Francisco. In 1918, during Dr. Boxton's tenure as dean, the college focused its educational program solely on dentistry.
The original P&S campus, located at Fourth and Howard Streets near the present-day Moscone Center, was completely destroyed by the 1906 earthquake and fire. As a result, the campus moved to its Fourteenth Street location in the heart of the Mission District, where it operated from 1906 until 1967. In 1962, the College of Physicians and Surgeons became part of the University of the Pacific. A new facility for the dental school was constructed in 1967 on the corner of Sacramento and Webster Streets in San Francisco, where the school currently stands. It was the first complete replacement of a dental school facility to be dedicated in the United States using federal-aid-to-education funds. University of the Pacific recently purchased a seven-story structure in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood that will serve as the future home of the dental school following a comprehensive renovation. The new campus is expected to be completed in mid-2014.
The Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry has thrived through earthquakes and wars, legislation and depression, to forge and maintain its longstanding reputation of producing excellence in clinical and scientific training. At the same time, the school has built a parallel reputation for encouraging diversity, accessibility and opportunity, and has formed a strong sense of community. This translates to a special concern for people which prevails among students, faculty, alumni and supporters. Today, these traditions of excellence and of caring combine to form Pacific's model of humanistic education, where professors teach, faculty care and students learn.
Today, under the direction of Dean Patrick J. Ferrillo, Jr., the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry is a leader among dental schools, in curriculum, clinical excellence, technology and alumni support. Students learn through the humanistic model of education in a technologically advanced setting.