One of the world's most distinctive metropolitan centers, San Francisco has been the home of the School of Dentistry since its incorporation in 1896 as the College of Physicians and Surgeons. The school has been recognized since its inception as a major resource for dental education in the Western states.
The Alumni Association provided a twelve operatory dental clinic which has served as the school's major extended campus in southern Alameda County since 1973. The clinic was completely remodeled in 2002 and currently serves as one of two sites for the school's Advanced Education in General Dentistry residency program. The university also purchased and renovated a building within seven blocks of the school to help meet student needs for reasonably priced housing. The facility houses 126 students in 66 apartments and provides a contemporary dental technical laboratory, a physical fitness center, and study rooms for use by building residents.
The University of the Pacific is fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The dental educational programs are fully accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The School of Dentistry is a member of the American Dental Education Association.