Safety: How to Ensure Your Personal Security
If you are involved in or witness a crime, accident or suspicious incident, call 911. For cellphone users, the San Francisco Police Department direct emergency number is 415.553.8090.
Personal safety tips
- Plan your route/day: carry only the things you need and could afford to lose.
- Be aware and be alert of your surroundings.
- Walk with confidence and in well-lit areas.
- When approached by strangers, keep an arm's length distance, if possible.
- If confronted, yell "help" or use a whistle or shriek alarm to make some noise.
- Keep your valuables concealed on your person, i.e., use a money belt, fanny pack or inside pocket.
Vehicle safety tips
- Never leave any personal items inside a vehicle.
- Make sure the windows are up and the doors are locked.
- Removable stereos and CD players should never be left in a vehicle.
- Use an anti-theft device like an alarm system.
- Park your vehicle in well-lit areas.
- If you have a garage, use it to park your vehicle inside.
- Be aware! Look out your window to check for suspicious activity.
- Call the police at once if you see someone tampering with a vehicle.
- Report all break-ins to the Security & SFPD