Transit Update for Patients and Visitors: Super Bowl 50 to Impact Downtown San Francisco
January 11, 2016
The Bay Area's hosting of Super Bowl 50 is bringing a bright media spotlight to the region, along with an expected one million people who will enjoy the festivities leading up to the big game on Sunday, Feb. 7, 2016.
While the main event is in Santa Clara, 35 miles to the south, nine days of activities leading up to the game will be held in San Francisco. Downtown transportation will be impacted from at least January 23 to February 12.
The "NFL Experience" (interactive theme park and merchandise shop) takes place at the Moscone Center and "Super Bowl City" takes place at Justin Herman Plaza Jan. 30 - Feb. 7, 2016; set-up for both event areas will start Jan. 23.
Howard Street between Third and Fourth Streets will be closed to vehicular traffic, as will Market Street from Beale Street to Justin Herman Plaza. The southbound lanes of the Embarcadero will also be impacted.
In recognition of the impact these events will have on transit times and access, the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry's schedule for its clinics has been adjusted. During the week of Monday, February 1 through Friday, February 5, one long session in the general dentistry clinics will be offered from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm; there will be no evening clinic appointments that week. Emergency services will be offered between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm, and pediatric dental services and special care services will end at 2:00 pm that week. The school itself will be open normal hours.
The following tips are recommended to all who will be traveling in or through the downtown and South of Market areas of San Francisco during this time:
- Allow plenty of extra time to get to and from the dental school's location at 155 Fifth Street
- Take public transportation — The BART/Muni Powell Station is just 1.5 blocks away! (Other options include Golden Gate Transit, SamTrans and CalTrain)
- Street closures, detours and parking impacts will affect private cars
- The Fifth & Mission parking garage will be open as usual, however expect it to be busy
- Consider biking or walking to the school if you live close enough.
- All staff and students should wear their ID badges. A reminder to wear your student or employee ID badge, or obtain a visitor's pass at patient check in. We expect tight security in the neighborhood.
- Sign up for email updates from the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, and learn more transportation tips, at www.sfmta.com/SB50.
For more information about Super Bowl 50, visit www.sfbaysuperbowl.com.