To be eligible for federal financial aid, a student must:
  • Be a U. S. citizen, U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa and Swain's Island) or U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card). Other eligible non-citizens include students who have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service with one of the following designations: Refugee; Asylum Granted; Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole; Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending); or Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980).
  • Be enrolled, or accepted for enrollment, in a degree or certificate program at a college or university approved by the U.S. Department of Education
  • Have a high school diploma or GED
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Register with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
  • Be in good standing on all other current federal student loan(s), if applicable
You are not eligible for federal financial aid if you:
  • Have only a Notice to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464) are not eligible for federal student aid
  • Have defaulted on a federal student loan or owe a refund on federal aid
Student Visa Holders and Canadian Citizens

Only students who are U.S citizens or Permanent Residents are eligible for federal financial aid. However, some private/alternative loans are available for visa students who have a credit worthy co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. Please contact the financial aid office for further instructions.