The University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery offers a one-year internship position for dentists who are interested in gaining an additional year of education and experience in oral and maxillofacial surgery beyond that which is taught during dental school, and who are preparing to apply to OMS residency training programs.
The internship will provide excellent training covering the full scope of oral and maxillofacial surgery. It will be primarily based at the University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School and Dentistry and California Pacific Medical Center, with rotations at Stanford Health.
The primary role of the intern is to assist in the outpatient clinic within the school teaching dental students and advanced education general dentistry residents and performing outpatient procedures. The intern will also take hospital call, and assist in a wide variety of operating room cases including:
- Orthognathic surgery
- Pediatric maxillofacial surgery
- Benign and malignant pathology
- Trigeminal nerve repair
- Trauma of the head and neck
- Outpatient and general anesthesia in adults and pediatrics
- Minimally invasive and open temporomandibular joint disorder treatments
- Sleep surgery
- Increased working knowledge of advanced surgical techniques.
- Enhanced working knowledge of and experience in managing surgical complications.
- Develop a high level of surgical competence in managing compromised patients.
- Increased exposure to interdisciplinary treatment planning of dentofacial deformities.
- Increased experience in dentoalveolar surgery including management of simple and surgical extractions, impacted teeth, and preprosthetic surgery.
- Increased working knowledge of dental implants and maxillofacial implants.
- Increased experience in the preoperative evaluation of the surgical patient.
- Increased experience in the management of the maxillofacial trauma patient.
Alongside the excellent clinical training, the interns will have access to research opportunities. It is expected that each intern will complete a peer-reviewed publication during the year.
The department offers one to two Internships in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery annually. The Internship is full-time with a monthly stipend, and begins July 1st and ends June 30th.
This internship year is not accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
Program length: 12 months
Salary: $58, 400
Eligibility: Qualified candidates must have DDS or DMD from U.S. or Canadian accredited dental school and must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent residen, or Canadian citizen; and must submit all required program application materials by application deadline. Candidates in question MUST HAVE AN ACTIVE CALIFORNIA DENTAL LICENSE prior to starting.
Application: Please submit PASS Program application, Current CV, digital photo (head shot), Official transcripts (dental school and undergraduate), 3 letters of recommendation.
Recommended but not required: NBME CBSE exam report.
Selection Criteria: Admission to the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Internship Program is competitive, with initial screening of candidates based upon previous academic performance, letters of recommendation and professional experience. Interns will be chosen based upon the factors described above, and the results of a personal interview with the program director and program faculty.
Fatima Mashkoor, DDS
Assistant Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery